As an international student, you need to have a valid travel documents (passport and entry visa
) to enter Malaysia. An entry visa
can be obtained from the Malaysian Embassy/Consulate in your country. Should you accept the offer for admission, please make necessary arrangements to apply for the entry visa from the nearest Malaysian Embassy/Consulate. Failure to enter Malaysia with an entry visa will result in paying an additional fee
to the Immigration Office when applying for student pass.
If you enter Malaysia without
an entry visa, the immigration official at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) or any other entry points would allow you to enter the country with a short social visit pass (normally given to tourists). To legalize your long stay at the university, you will need to convert the social visit pass to a student pass. There will be a fee of RM500.00
+ Visa charges imposed on you by the Immigration Department for the processing fee of Journey Performed Visa
Application for Student Pass (upon arrival in Kuala Lumpur)
The International Student Centre of the University of Malaya will assist you in getting your student pass
. The Unit will apply for the pass for you upon your arrival in Kuala Lumpur. The process of getting a student pass is rather complicated and time-consuming. In general, the application and approval process may take about 1 – 1½ months to be completed. To facilitate your student pass application you are required to submit the following documents to the Centre:
- A copy of your passport (exclude blank pages)
- Application fee of RM20.00 (payable to UM)
- 3 passport-sized photographs
- Personal Bond Deposit depending on the country of origin (Banker’s draft payable to University Malaya for the sum of RM ...........*, the amount for each country is given (Refer to ISC office). The deposit is refundable upon completion of studies; students of universities which have established Memorandum of Understanding with UM need not pay this deposit)
Upon approval of the pass and submission of passport for student pass endorsement, you are required to pay the following:
(Payment for all fees can be made after student's arrival.)
- Student pass of RM60.00 (a year or part of it)
- Current Visa/re-entry visa rate – amount depends on the country of origin, not exceeding RM100.00
- Processing fee of RM500.00 for Journey Performed Visa, JPVisa (applicable to students who enter Malaysia without entry visa)
The International Student Centre will inform you as to when to submit your original passport for the student pass endorsement. Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact the centre at email@example.com
of telephone: 603-7967 7714/ 7715/ 7716 or fax: 603-7967 7710.
Renewal of Visa and Student Pass
Should you need to renew your student pass, please ask for assistance from the International Student Centre. The following conditions apply when applying for the renewal. You must:
- Satisfy course requirement by attending at least 80 percent of all your scheduled classes and achieve satisfactory academic performance; failure to do so can result in losing your student pass status.
- Be responsible in taking note of expiry dates of any kind; passport expiry, student pass expiry, visa expiry and etc. Extension of your student pass must be submitted one month before the current pass expires.
- Maintain a valid enrolment at your University. A letter of certification from the Admissions & Records Section needs to be attached with the extension application.
- Advise the Malaysian Immigration Department through the International Student Centre about change of address, travel within Malaysia, withdraw from courses/University or if you wish to change your pass status.